Translate

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Nice Restaurant: Le Boudoir

I had a special-promotion ticket for “Le Boudoir,” a French restaurant with a Baroque-style decor and cuisine described as “semi-gastronomique” in featuring French classics like foie gras and truffles.
I tried to make a reservation well in advance, but was told to phone back a couple days before my desired day, and so I did — but, I was told they were full up and/or the first booking I could have would be at 9:30 p.m. I was somewhat put off by their attitude on the phone, and this happened three times before I could get a 7:30 p.m. dinner time – at that point, I didn’t care what day it was for!

Expecting a not-so-great experience, I was pleasantly surprised at how unique and good the food was, although the promotional menu was a set three courses, with no substitutions. I assumed this meant appetizer, main course, and dessert – Non! It was a tapas type, three course serving of generous portions: salad with purple artichokes, mini-brioche foie gras sandwich, and truffle risotto with parmesan mousse and slices of truffles on top. I was really excited about eating my first truffle – it smelled and tasted very earthey and lightly sweet, giving the risotto a rich, hearty flavor.
The service was professional and direct, but not overwhelmingly welcoming, as can be typical during the summer tourist rush in Nice.



I watched a ‘smoking’ cocktail being served at the next table and found out it was a Mojito, but with bits of dry ice, making it appear like a witch’s brew (poor quality photo) – eye catching and entertaining, to say the least!


No comments:

Post a Comment