Translate

Thursday, December 6, 2012

French-Italian Lasagne



I don't have a cooking gene, but have made over the years, lasagne: an easy, one pan kind of meal.  I hadn't thought of making it in France though, for some reason, until the other day.  I bought FIORINI brand
 
"Lasagnes aux oeufs" (eggs=19%)which were totally UNlike the American wavy-edged lasagne noodles.  And, there was even a recipe on the back of the box (OK, I admit, this is the real reason I bought it)!

Whoa! I started reading the recipe and it didn't say to cook the noodles before layering them into the pan - What!? I had to be mis-translating something here, so I then looked at the general cooking directions on the side of the box:

"Ne necessite pas de pre-cuisson" (not necessary to precook)

HUH? I had never made lasagne without first cooking the noodles - so surely, I was not reading the French correctly - but Non, this was correct! I didn't believe it, but went ahead and layered my UNcooked noodles with my own version of vegetable lasagne, thinking this couldn't possibly turn out well.

Voila! In 40 minutes, it had finished cooking and was DONE! Now I'm wondering if I really needed to pre-cook American lasagne noodles, or is this a case of cultural cooking differences!?


No comments:

Post a Comment