Translate

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Seedling: A 12-year Wait

-->

After the terrible storm of December, 1999 that destroyed thousands of trees at the Chateau de Versailles, they created an Adopt-a-Tree program, where you could sponsor the planting of a replacement tree/sapling. Of course, I participated and was sent an official certificate with a map drawing with the location of “my” tree noted with a red asterisk. I felt proud, like a new mother.

During several vacations to Paris, I wanted to find the (my) tree, but without success: that area was barricaded and not accessible, that area was still being planted/in works: I walked as far as I could go to verify that this information was indeed correct. I just wanted a glimpse, but I was too far away from the screened-off areas.

During my recent trip, I was determined to find my tree and with map in hand, walked around the perimeter of the chateau to the designated area. It was chilly, overcast, and threatening to rain. The interior area was still not accessible, but the net barricade had been removed – I could get a clear view! Luckily my tree had been planted in the far outside corner, so I could see it clearly from the path – I was about 20 feet away from “my baby.”







Showing sponsors for the works done at the chateau

-->

No comments:

Post a Comment